Irlam FC 5-4  Radcliffe FC

Irlam FC 5-4 Radcliffe FC

By Adam Harrison
24th July
Share via

The Boro lose out in a nine goal thriller.

Radcliffe FC tasted defeat for the first time in pre-season as Irlam FC ran out 5-4 winners at the Silver Street Ground after a late goal fest.

New signing Danny Mitchley found the net for the Boro on the night in a side littered with trialists.

Jon Macken’s men now have a local derby on their hands as they travel to Prestwich Heys on Saturday afternoon.

The game got off to a lightning start as on three minutes the home side took the lead. A brilliant strike from outside the box flew into the top corner of Kyle Haslam’s goal giving him no chance.

The quick start continue as just a minute later the Boro were back in the game. A Boro trialist calmly slotted under the goalkeeper from a tight angle after some good work on the right wing.

Mackens Men found themselves behind once again on 8 minutes. A fantastic ball over the Boro defence found an Irlam attacker who side footed into the goal.

After a manic start to the game both sides settled into the game. It was the Boro who looked more likely to find the next goal but it was the home side who had the lead at the break.

Some more familiar faces joined the field at half time. Ollie Martin, Leon Wright and Elliot Rokka as well as several trialists entered the field at the half way stage.

The away side made the better start to the second half but it was Irlam who added to their tally. A cross to the back post found a free man who volleyed home from close range.

On 63 minutes the Boro were back in the game. A trialist slotted home after some brilliant work from Leon Wright.

The Boro were knocking on the door as the half went one. Danny Mitchley had a golden opportunity but his first time shot went narrowly wide of the Irlam goal.

Despite the constant knocking it was Irlam who found the next goal. The home side had a man free at the back post who tapped home despite the calls for offside.

Six minutes later the Boro found themselves back in the game. Rokka and Mitchley linked up once again but this time Rokka finds the back of the net via a deflection.

Moments later the Boro were level. Martin launched a long ball to Rokka, he found Mitchley in the middle once again. He slotted home to equalise.

With three minutes to go Irlam regained the lead. Once again a man free fired home past Martin in the Boro goal.

The Boro continued to bang on the door but it was the home side who ran out winners on the night.

Share via