Sat 28
Grantham Town
First Team
Match Report: Grantham Town 4-0 Radcliffe FC

Match Report: Grantham Town 4-0 Radcliffe FC

By Adam Harrison
Share via

Grantham Town grab all three points on a dis appointing afternoon for the Boro

Grantam Town collected all three points as they smashed four past Radcliffe FC at South Kesteven Sports Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Tom Ward, Andrew Wright, Jack Broadhead added to Matt Hughes first half own goal to collect the three points in a dominate display.

Jon Macken’s men now look forward to a chance of redemption as they face Hyde United on Saturday.

The first real chance of the game fell to the home side. James Baxendale blazed over the bar from range.

The Boro had a chance midway through the first half but Tyrese Sinclair’s free kick was hit wide of the Gingerbreadman’s goal.

Moments later the home side took the lead. Nathan Smith delivered a low hard ball into the box which at first glance looked to be headed home by Greg Smith but it was turned into his own net by Matt Hughes.

The game should have been tied on 32 minutes. Scott Metcalfe whipped in a great ball. It was met by Callum Grogan but cleared, then kept alive by Ben Wharton but nothing came from the follow up.

Just three minutes later Grantham had doubled their lead. Tom Ward rose highest to head home after a flicked ball back across the box.

The Boro very nearly had a goal back before half time. Harry Winter played a brilliantly weighted ball to Wharton. He looked to cut back across the goal but his ball couldn’t find a blue shirt.

Grogan came to his sides saviour late in the half. He headed the ball off the line not twice but twice to save his sides blushes.

Jon Macken made two half time substitutions in a bid to get back into the game as Riley O’Sullivan and Liam Ellis replaced Matty Crothers and Tyrese Sinclair.

Ellis looked to cause problems for the Grantham defence in the opening stages but he couldn’t convert a chance.

The other substitute O’Sullivan looked to have won his side a penalty but his claim was waved away after a positive bit of play.

Minutes later the home side took another chance. This time Andrew Wright fired home after a well worked corner. The Gingerbreadmen headed back across goal to find Wright free in the centre.

With 25 minutes to go Jack Broadhead fired home to make the Boro’s day even worse.

O’Sullivan looked to be a vein in Granthams’ Side as he forced a corner after some great work on the byline. The forward also looked to have poked home but the goalkeeper collected from a tight angle.

The Boro had a great chance to grab a goal late in the game. Ellis played a great ball to Winter but he blazed over from close range.

It wasn’t to be for Jon Macken’s men after a disappointing display on his 100th game in charge of the club.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 28, Sep 2019






Premier Division

League position

Grantham Town