Sat 05
First Team
Hyde United
Match Report: Radcliffe FC 3-0 Hyde United

Match Report: Radcliffe FC 3-0 Hyde United

By Adam Harrison
Share via

The Boro bounce back with a dominant win over the Tigers

Radcliffe bounced back from last weeks loss to Grantham Town with a comprehensive win over Hyde United. Two late goals in the second half, after an early first half goal, were enough to give the home team the three points. The result sees Boro climb up to 16th in the table, still having a few games in hand on teams around them in the table.

Following on from the disappointing result against Grantham the team looked to write the wrongs of that performance. The home team dominated the early proceedings of the game, and got their just rewards in the 19th minute of the game. From a Hyde corner, Tyrees Sinclair broke forward from the edge of his own box. He continued his burst forward from one box to the other, he then dribbled past one defender and fed the ball across the box. The ball then fell to Liam Ellis who found himself in a great position to finish to take an early lead.

The early goal meant Radcliffe could control much of the first half. With few chances for either team, Boro almost doubled their lead in the 29th minute. James Hooper whipped a free kick in from out wide on the right, the ball bounced right infront of the goalkeeper, however a Radcliffe player just couldn’t get on the end of it.

Boro came out to the second half spurred on by their first half display and looking to double their lead. Javid Swaby-Neavin advanced with the ball, his cross was the cut out by a Hyde defender. Tom Brown then pounced on the loose ball and played in Ellis. Ellis looked to flick the ball over Luke Mewitt, but Mewitt did brilliantly to claw the ball away at the expense of a corner.

Tigers boss David McGurk was clearly an unhappy man with his team and made a couple of substitutions at the start of the second half. The substitutions almost worked instantly as Paddy Lane coming on meant they were doubling up down the left hand side. First Joel Logans cross from the left was met by Dan Turner, however his shot was saved well by birthday boy Ollie Martin. Then, Lane crossed in from out left, the cross was then headed across goal to Turner who somehow managed to head over from point blank range.

The away team continued to grow into the game and had another couple of chances later in the half. First, Liam Tongue drove towards the Radcliffe box and had a shot from distance that Martin saved well down to his right. Shortly afterwards, Lane caused more problems down the left and whipped a smart cross in for Turner, who saw his shot come back off the post.

Boro eventually got their second goal after being on the backfoot for much of the second half. The ball was played forward towards Ellis in the box, he then looked to control the ball on his chest. He was pushed in the back by Oran Thompson and referee Alex James pointed to the spot. Sinclair coolly dispatched the penalty past Mewitt to give the home team a 2-0 lead in the 83rd minute.

Radcliffe wrapped up all three points only a few minutes after the penalty. Sinclair and Metcalfe played a delightful 1-2 down the left hand side. Sinclair then dribbled across the edge of the box, before delivering a lovely floated ball into the area. Rick Smith was on hand to meet the ball and his header looped over the keeper and into the back of the net.

In the end a fairly routine win for the home team. A first win at home, coupled with a clean sheet will leave manager Jon Mackem feeling undoubtedly satisfied. Boro welcome FC United of Manchester back to the Neuven Stadium on Tuesday night, in what will be a tense affair.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 05, Oct 2019






Premier Division

League position

Hyde United